Role: Social Media Intern
Location: Virtual, Remote, 10 hours a week
Latina Republic is a registered nonprofit organization advancing social justice in Central and South America and empowering Latinos in the United States. We believe that the root causes of migration from the Americas can better be understood through personal testimonials from Latin American neighbors in the region and through partnership and development efforts. Latina Republic provides a forum for locals to drive the conversation on issues across the region. We partner with everyday people on the front lines of urgent problems in Latin America and celebrate alongside those who overcome and contribute generously to the improvements of their local communities. Through Latina Republic’s forum, we bring together leading experts and local voices from Latin America to inform policies and educate the public.
Job Description: The Social Media Intern is responsible for developing copy and visual materials for Latina Republic’s social media channels, and be the external voice through all platforms, ensuring it is relevant to the values and work of the organization, as well as the cultural landscape of Latin America, immigrant rights, social justice, cultural heritage, folklore, innovation, and other intersectional realities. Reporting to Executive Director, this position is responsible for the day-to-day posting and platform engagements with the goal of amplifying Latina Republic’s vision, to promote the uniqueness and beauty of the region through digital storytelling. Social media will be used to share the unique stories written by our writers and help promote overall social engagement with an emphasis on storytelling inclusive of showcasing the great work of NGOs we have partnered with in the region. The ideal candidate will have experience building and engaging in social media in a nonprofit setting. The individual should also be open to learning about data and analytics to continue to refine and optimize the content strategy and drive performance.
- Create Latina Republic’s Instagram account
- Manage, draft, and produce content and copy for all social media channels (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
- Design visually appealing and attractive social media content. Track social media performance and metrics
- Increase the number of readers for correspondent articles on Latina Republic’s website
- Manage rapid responses to cultural and movement moments across social media channels, amplifying allies and driving creative content to respond to the moment
- Administrative support for communications
- Attend internal weekly meetings
- Work in partnership with the Board of Directors, the Grant Writer and the CEO
Preferred Qualifications / Skills:
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding to Latino communities and Latina Republic’s mission
- Experience managing social media accounts, preferably for a nonprofit organization
- Familiarity with social media audiences, best practices, and analytics
- Design skills or experience with sites like Canva
- Familiarity with analyzing data
- Comfortable working independently and possessing a strong sense of initiative (self-starter)
- Highly organized, with a passionate dedication to details
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
This is a remote-based position that works as a virtual internship with a time range of 10 hours per week.
The internship is unpaid but holds a rich and valuable learning experiences. The duration is for the school term, with the possibility of renewal.
Our student interns will serve as fully functional members of Latina Republic. Prior to the start of the internship, the Social Media Intern will identify 4-6 learning goals to be completed during the course of the internship. They could incorporate desired industry-related knowledge and skills. We will meet with our social media intern at the beginning of the internship to develop a plan to ensure that the established goals are met and check in daily to discuss vision, collaborate, answer questions and provide feedback and guidance.
Our social media intern will receive timely feedback and participate in direct mentorship gaining knowledge of social media storytelling to expand knowledge of Latin America and to advance the mission of an impactful NGO in the region.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter explaining your interest in the region, appreciation for LR’s mission, fitness for the role, skill level and passion for this position. Detail/show similar work you have done and describe your social media platform expertise and how it would contribute to LR’s digital storytelling. Include any ideas you may have, inspired by our content and mission. Please include your resume and letter of recommendation.
Please submit all materials to:
Executive Director, Soledad Quartucci, [email protected]